MGLC Švicarija: Open Call for Critic-in-Residence Programme 2021
who we are
In collaboration with MGLC Švicarija, a creative and residency centre, we are inviting art critics and cultural journalists to apply for a fully-funded, one-month residency in Ljubljana during October 2021. Deadline for applications: 10 February 2021.
Located in Ljubljana’s central Tivoli Park, MGLC Švicarija is a cultural, educational, and social hub that offers programmes to the public, studio facilities for local artists, and residencies for international artists and art experts. Home to a public programme that follows the concept of “community, art, and nature”, Švicarija is part of the MGLC – International Centre of Graphic Arts, a specialized museum, producer of printed and contemporary art, and provider of artist residencies. MGLC emerged from the twentieth century heritage of printmaking and the Ljubljana Biennial of Graphic Arts, the world’s oldest printmaking biennale that has been running uninterrupted since 1955.
The Igor Zabel Association for Culture and Theory works with and promotes the legacy of Igor Zabel, an influential Slovenian curator, art writer, and art historian (1958–2005), by putting his work in dialogue with current questions and phenomena in the field of contemporary art, art history writing, and curatorial practices in Central, East, and Southeast Europe, and beyond.
what we aim to do
The general aim of the international residency programme is to support exploration into and reflection on contemporary visual art. We are also interested in the intersection of art and humanities. Finally, we welcome art writers who are interested in learning about and reflecting upon the local art scene.
Our aim is to host an art critic or cultural journalist active in writing and publishing reviews and/or other forms of art writing in the international context, and who is interested in Ljubljana’s vibrant art scene and will produce at least two pieces of writing (reviews, interviews, columns, or essays) on selected artist(s), art exhibition(s), or art event(s) in Ljubljana over the course of the residency. The texts should be published in the English language in a relevant periodical (printed or online), radio, television, or personal blog. The selection will also be based on the candidate who can provide the best possible outreach for the articles produced during the one-month residency period in Ljubljana.
Application deadline: 10 February 2021
The period of the residency: 1–31 October 2021
The critic-in-residence 2021 programme will take place during October 2021. The term of the residency is fixed, is not subject to change, and cannot be transfered to another time period. Perspective applicants should be able to commit to the defined term of the residency.
We are looking for an emerging or established art critic or cultural journalist:
- who is a skilled writer with proven experience in writing and publishing articles about contemporary art;
- who has excellent English proficiency (but does not have to be a native speaker);
- who has a desire to explore new art scenes;
- who is able to produce at least two pieces of writing over the one-month period about selected artist(s), art exhibition(s), or art event(s) in Ljubljana;
- the two texts should be published in a magazine or journal, newspaper, online portal, radio, television, or personal blog (though they can be published after the term of the residency).
- priority will be given to critics/journalists who work for relevant media with wide outreach;
- prospective candidates should have a genuine interest in discovering the local art scene, meeting artists, and seeing exhibitions and other cultural events that take place during the residency.
What we offer:
- free accommodation in a fully-equipped studio apartment at the Švicarija creative and residency centre;
- reimbursement of travel costs to and from Ljubljana (up to €500 from European countries, up to €900 from destinations outside of Europe);
- stipend for living costs (up to €1085 per month gross / €35 per day gross);
- support in learning about the local art scene.
How to apply:
We will accept applications at:
- the email address email@example.com [subject line: “open call – art critic 2021”] or
- by post to MGLC, Pod turnom 3, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia [inscription: “open call – art critic 2021” until 10 February 2021 (midnight CET).
There is no fixed application form. Applications should contain the following:
- a working plan for the “critic-in-residency” programme including the following: a description of the applicants’ particular interests in visual art and the planned focus during the Ljubljana residency [maximum 500 words];
- where the two articles will be will published;
- biography [maximum 500 words];
- contact details [full name, address, email & telephone number, date of birth];
- two examples of previously published pieces of writing (in English).
The applications will be evaluated by a jury of experts representing MGLC – International Centre of Graphic Arts and the Igor Zabel Association for Culture and Theory. The chosen applicant will be notified by the end of March 2021. If applicants do not hear by that date, this indicates that application was unsuccessful on this occasion.
If you have any questions regarding the open call, please contact Lucija Šutej: firstname.lastname@example.org or +386 30 708 469.