Upcoming screenings of The Curator's Room documentary film
● Friday, 17 January 2020, 19:00, Museum of Contemporary Art (Gorgona hall), Zagreb
The film screening is part of the Kino umjetnika programme; it will be followed by a conversation between film scriptwriter Urška Jurman, curator and leader of the Kino umjetnika programme Branka Benčić, and curator Tevž Logar. Entry is free of charge.
● Saturday, 19 October 2019, 18:00, Salon of the Museum of Contemporary Art, 14 Pariška Street, Belgrade
This film screening is part of the What Could/Should Curating Do? (WCSCD) educational programme. The film screening will be followed by a conversation between film scriptwriter Urška Jurman, curator Zoran Erić, art theorist Miško Šuvaković, and leader of the WCSCD programme Biljana Ćirić.
● Friday, 27 September 2019, 17:00, viennacontemporary 2019, Marx Halle (Culture 5.0 Conference Booth), Vienna
This film screening is part of the Vienna art fair and its Focus section: NSK State in Time. The film screening will be followed with the Q&A with Urška Jurman, film scriptwriter.
viennacontemporary 2019 Focus presentation is curated by Tevž Logar and supported by the Igor Zabel Association for Culture and Theory and ERSTE Foundation.
● Thursday, 5 September 2019, 18:00,8th International documentary film festival DOKUDOC, Sodni stolp, Maribor; the film screening will be followed with the Q&A with Urška Jurman, film scriptwriter.
● Wednesday, 28 August 2019, 21:30, Metelkova Museum's Square (amphitheater), Ljubljana; in case of bad weather the screening will take place at the Museum of Contemporary Art Metelkova (Maistrova 3)
The film screening is part of an international summer school The Big Shift: the 1990s. Avant-gardes in Eastern Europe and Their Legacy accompanying programme; summer school is organized by the Museum of Modern Art and the Museum of Contemporary Art Metelkova.
Entry is free of charge. For kindly support we thank to The Slovenian Cinematheque.
About the film
The Curator’s Room – Igor Zabel: How to Make Art Visible?
Director: Damjan Kozole, 2018
The Curator’s Room, a documentary film dedicated to the art historian and curator Igor Zabel (1958–2005), focuses on Zabel’s work in the field of visual arts from the end of the 1980s until his death. Through the film, we learn how, in that epochal time – at the turn of the century and at the intersections of (post)modern and contemporary art, the local and international art space, socialism and capitalism, East and West, artistic and social/political –, he faced in his work not only great changes and conflicts, but also possibilities for the new.
The film portrays not only a man who, despite the internal contradictions of the art world, persistently believed in the power of art, but also the time and space in which Igor Zabel worked and which he co-shaped.
Interviewees: Zdenka Badovinac, Jože Barši, Francesco Bonami, Barbara Borčić, Ekaterina Degot, Ješa Denegri, Charles Esche, Vadim Fiškin, Sergej Kapus, Samo Krušič, Boris Marte, Viktor Misiano, Marjetica Potrč, Igor Španjol, Borut Vogelnik, Mateja Kos Zabel, Bojan and Sonja Zabel, Božidar Zrinski, Beti Žerovc, Peter Weibel
Scriptwriter: Urška Jurman | Production and distribution: Vertigo | Co-production: RTV Slovenia, Igor Zabel Association for Culture and Theory | Supported by: Slovenian Film Centre